Friday, June 28, 2013

3 days using i3 tiling window manager under Slackware

I have heard about tiling window manager for some time, but lack the initiative to test one.  Recently I finally got fed up with resizing two windows side by side and decided to give titling manager a test.

After some research from the web, I settled on i3 tiling window manager for its simplicity.  With the help from SlackBuilds, I got the window manager installed and run without hassle (I did recompile the cairo with xcb support (from current) and use the latest i3 release version 4.5.1).

It took me a while to get familiar with the key bindings.  Thanks for the good documentation, I got used to it quickly and customized the configuration to suite my own needs.  No longer do I need to fight with the mouse to place the window to gain the last pixel.  Wow, I wish I should try it earlier.  It just simply awesome! Oh, and awesome is another good tiling window manager too ^_^.

I have used various window mangers and DE during the years of using Slackware.  From the beginning, it was fvwm, fvwm2, IceWM, window maker, GNOME, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, blackbox, EDE, E16, E17, fluxbox.  Now I am simply sold to the tiling manager and won't go back to the normal one.

No comments: